12 Days of Cookies
Red Velvet Butter Cookies
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Beat in the egg and the food coloring.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cream cheese/butter mixture and mix until dough forms.
- Cover bowl with saran wrap and let chill for about 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place powdered sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and then roll each ball in powdered sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes and let cookies cool completely on cooling wrack.
- Store cookies in air-tight container for up to 3 days.