On January 22, Grundy County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to 33 Henley Drive in Altamont, for EMS assistance. On arrival, they found Margaret Dudley suffering from burns to her upper torso and face.
The preliminary investigation shows that Dudley fell asleep while smoking in the bed, causing her clothes and bedding to ignite. Dudley was transported by ambulance to Emerald Hodgson Hospital in Sewanee, and later transferred to Vanderbilt Hospital where she passed away.
Sheriff Shrum stated the case is still under investigation and an autopsy has been requested.