Four other defendants to appear in court on March 19
One of eight men facing federal charges in connection with a string of pharmacy burglaries in Kentucky and Tennessee has made a motion to enter a guilty plea.
U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Hanly A. Ingram approved the motion for re-arraignment filed by forty-four-year-old Anthony Bosio, originally ordering the hearing be held at 1:30 p.m., on Thursday, in the Kentucky Eastern District Federal Court. Late Monday, a new order was file moving Bosio’s appearance before the court to Monday, February 12. The order stated, ““On the court’s own motion and after having consulted with counsel.”
Bosio is accused of conspiring with co-defendants Robert Nunley, Christopher Land, Kenneth Britton, Randy Stiefel, and Jamie Sweeton to distribute assorted controlled substances, including a quantity of pills containing oxycodone between December 2010 and October 2015.
The indictment alleges that three of the co-defendants, Nunley, Land and Sweeton, aided and abetted each other in entering Save-Rite Pharmacy and Stephanie’s Down Home Pharmacy in Corbin with the intent to steal controlled substance with a replacement cost exceeding $500.
The charges stem from the burglary that occurred at Stephanie’s on January 26, 2014 and Save-Rite on March 15, 2015. Both burglaries were caught on surveillance video.
Two masked individuals pulled up to Save-Rite Pharmacy on Master Street in a black Range Rover SUV. After circling the parking lot, the vehicle pulled crossways in the parking lot just feet from the door. One of the burglars, described as a white male, about six feet tall and weighing over 300 pounds, is seen jumping out of the driver’s seat, going up to the front door, and using a crowbar to pry it open.
The other man, described as a white male, approximately 5’8”, who had been waiting with the back seat door open, is seen jumping out with a blue tote bag and entering the store while the driver remained outside. Video from inside the store shows the other man busting open a locked cabinet containing narcotics and cleaning it out into the tote.
At the time, Corbin Police Chief Rusty Hedrick, who was then a detective investigating the incident, said there had been three similar burglaries within two months of the Save-Rite burglary.
Video surveillance from the burglary at Stephanie’s Pharmacy on Master Street on January 26, 2014, shows a white Chrysler 300 sedan parked in front of the store as the masked men enter the store and sweep the shelves of drugs.
“They popped the lock on the front door of the store to get in and are in and out in less than three minutes,” said then Knox County Sheriff’s Chief Deputy Derek Eubanks who added that two men are seen grabbing the drugs while a third remains outside as a lookout.
The burglars swept the drugs into large storage tubs, ignoring the cash register.
Hedrick said he was contacted in mid-2016 by agents from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration who had developed a case connecting Nunley to the Save-Rite burglary.
“Pill bottles taken during the burglary at Stephanie’s had been found at Nunley’s home when the DEA searched it,” Hedrick said.
At the time the initial indictment was returned in August, Nunley was incarcerated in the Lincoln County, Tennessee Jail on charges stemming from a 2012 burglary at a pharmacy in Shelbyville.
“They went in and popped the lock and left with quite a few pills,” Shelbyville Police Lt. Brian Crews stated at the time of the burglary.
Crews said law enforcement believes Nunley is part of a group responsible for a number of pharmacy burglaries throughout the Southeast.
The Grundy County Tennessee Sheriff’s Office in conjunction with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and Shelbyville Police Department took Bosio, Land, Sweeton, Britton and Stiefel into custody on arrest warrants stemming from the indictment.
The defendants face up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million on the conspiracy charge and up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 on each of the aiding and abetting charges.
The remaining defendants are scheduled to go to trial March 19, in U.S. District Court in London.
Information for this article was provided by Dean Manning of the News Journal in Corbin, Kentucky.