The Church of Christ in Altamont will celebrate its 150th anniversary on Sunday, November 8. The day’s activities include Bible class at 10 a.m., worship with Ken McAfee of Morrison speaking at 11 a.m., and a fellowship dinner following the worship service. At 1:15 p.m., there will a time of singing and reminiscing.
In the early years of the church, the group met in numerous homes, under shade trees, in the jail, in a building at the Baptist Church, at the Masonic Lodge, and other available locations.
The first known activity of the church centered on the return of Jessie Givens from the Civil War battlefield. He had learned more of the Word of God during his time away, and was baptized while serving in the Confederate Army. A small group began meeting upon his return to Altamont, with church members always attempting to be a congregation of the “church Jesus built.”
In August 1932, Adolphus Rollins and J. Edward Nowlan held a meeting during which 22 people were baptized and four people “restored to Christ.” At that time, a permanent meeting place was designated, where the church currently stands. Both the wood for the auditorium and the land was donated. The men of the congregation did the work, and others who could not help with the labor contributed to the $65 needed for the roof.
The building was expanded in the 1950s with a lobby, restrooms, a baptistery, four classrooms, and the addition of two wings to the auditorium to increase seating. A room for larger classes and fellowship was added in 1994. The new auditorium was completed in 2001.
The Altamont Church of Christ has always been mission-minded. Today, its outreach includes a shortwave radio program that teaches around the world.
Everyone is invited to attend Bible study, worship, and enjoy fellowship at the church during their Homecoming Celebration. The Altamont Church of Christ is located on Fitchtown Road, Altamont.